Sunday, August 9, 2009

Laura Ling and Euna Lee book deal pool

I've been a vocal critic of Euna Lee, Laura Ling, and their colleague Mitch Koss from day one, but in reality I would never have wished on them a long stay in a hard-labor camp (or even a short stay).

Even though I think that they endangered a lot of people and I suspect that there are people who have been tortured or killed as a direct result of these three's stupidity and arrogance (stupogance™!), no one deserves to be in a North Korean hard-labor camp, just as no one deserves to be gang-raped or otherwise sodomized in an American prison.

But let's not kid ourselves that 134 days in the Pyongyang Palazzo was some sort of real hardship, not compared to what a lot of other people go through when detained for legal purposes, including many not in North Korea. In fact, four and a half months isn't all that unusual for something like this, I would imagine, and I might argue that even a year in such a facility would barely have been considered enough to count as penance for their willful idiocy.

Besides, when they make their book deal, it may turn out to be about $10,000 per day for each day of doltishness-induced captivity. Not bad, even better than Brother One Cell

And this stream of thought has got me to thinking. Fresh off the popularity of the Kim Jong-il Death Pool, I have decided to institute the Lee & Ling Book Deal Pool. Answer these questions:
  1. On what date the book deal is announced
  2. For how much the book deal is worth (i.e., how much they're advanced)
  3. If you think Lee and Ling do separate deals (or only one does a deal), then state as much.
As usual, the winner may get a free Egg McMuffin meal. Fine print, fine print, exceptions where noted, blah blah blah. Void where prohibited. 

Oh, yeah: And don't buy this book.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a guess, but I'm a big fan of "stupogance." I'm going to try that one out in conversation this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have very strong opinions on this whole ordeal. I would also urge people not to buy their book. I mean...do I even have to elaborate why I think this whole thing with the book deal (which I'm sure they will get one) pisses me off? EVEN, if they come out with a zing of a marketing angle such as sales proceeds going to help the efforts of some just cause (ie- women trafficking along the China/N.Korea border), I wouldn't buy it. Of course, there will be idiots who will still buy it because they don't have anything better to read.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but please be kind and respectful. My mom reads this blog.